Monday, November 10, 2014

The Magic of Sookie

Got a little distracted this week. I regret that it's taken me so long to post.

This week I focused on Sookie's culinary creativity and expertise with two of her dishes from season one.

 In episode 4 they made a big deal about her "magic risotto". You remember, she served it to her mother on her death bed and she lived another three years. We know Sookie as a confident, talented and accomplished chef, but this is the only time I remember that Sookie really went to bat for a particular dish. With all of the talk of the magic risotto she doesn't really go into detail about what makes this risotto so special. So for this recipe I turned to Giada De Laurentiis.

 I've made this recipe before and it is so delicious!!!

I made it my own by adding the zest of one lemon and using a Romano/Parmesan mixture in place of the straight Parmesan (and maybe added a little extra white wine cuz that's how I roll....).

 I balanced out my plate with broccoli and a lemon garlic chicken (I did not get the recipe from Gilmore Girls but from the side of a Lipton soup box. To that recipe I also added white wine, but again....). This was such a delicious dinner! Try it. For realz. Try it.



The other recipe comes from episode 3 of the same season. In this episode Sookie was going to make Strawberry shortcake, but in a classic Sookie/Jackson quarrel he brought her blueberries instead of strawberries.
BLUEBERRIES! 
So Sookie 'invented' Blueberry Shortcake.
  Since Sookie, Jackson. and Emily all said 'there's no such thing as blueberry shortcake' I thought that finding or creating this recipe would be more challenging than it was. But I quickly found out that Sookie did not invent this dessert. I feel cheated and lied to. But I made this dish anyway (and had it for breakfast--this is the "lighter version" so I don't feel bad about having dessert for breakfast).

My intention was to turn this...

                                                   

Into this.....




 But in reality mine looked like this....


So mine was not nearly as pretty, but it was still quite tasty I must admit, and I have a good feeling the left overs will be my breakfast again tomorrow.
That's it for this time.
Since I can't think of a clever way to close this edition out I'll say "super cool party people bid you super cool adieu!"


'Til next time friends!

5 comments:

  1. I loved this post! That lemon chicken sounds really good. Where can I find that recipe? I don't have a Lipton soup box handy, but I must have that chicken!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dip 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast in 1/4 cup of flour (first I season both the chicken and the flour with s & p) shake off excess flour. In nonstick skillet, melt 2 Tbsp butter over medium high heat and brown chicken turning once. Stir in 1 envelope Soup Mix (you can substitute a combination of onion and garlic powder--eyeball a couple tablespoons each), with 1 3/4 cup of water and 2 Tbsp of lemon juice. Reduce heat and simmer covered 5 minutes or until chicken is thoroughly cooked.

      Delete
    2. I realized later that I missed a golden opportunity for a lemon chicken recipe on the show. When Rory and Lorelai have their Alumni lunch their host, Daren Springfield (Bruce's brother) made a 'mean chicken; he stuck a lemon up its butt'. I will make this chicken. Stay tuned...

      Delete
  2. I loved the low cal blueberry shortcake! Some tips I thought about: Adding the blueberries to a sauce pan with a a few tablespoons of apple juice. Bring it to a boil then reduce the heat till all the liquid is gone. Then finish with a dollop of vanilla greek yogurt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds good! I will try that next time; thanks for the tip!

      Delete