Sunday, November 30, 2014

Gobble Gobble


this is NOT my turkey
  I went to my mom's for dinner, and I had the best intentions of  making at least one dish from the four Thanksgiving dinners in "A Deep Fried Korean Thanksgiving" in season 3 but alas, it was too much for me this year.
The thought of deep frying a turkey made me incredibly nervous that I'd burn my house down. But I know how delicious deep fried turkey is. Maybe next year?
"Did someone say JACKSON??"

There was a lot to choose from in this episode with traditional Thanksgiving meals at Luke's and at Richard and Emily's and there were also variations on the tradition with Jackson's deep fried turkey and Mrs. Kim's "tofurkey."

Now I fancy myself a bit of a Gilmore-oloist. One conversation that always bugs me is from Valentine's Day at Martha's Vineyard.  Lorelai is helping Rory in the kitchen and Rory warns Lorelai of the dangers of over mashing and said "it's called potato soup." Well Gilmore Girls, leave the cooking to Sookie, because if you over mash or over whip your potatoes they turn gummy or chewy. Don't over work your spuds!
 (I had this knowledge even BEFORE I ruined the mashed potatoes for Thanksgiving dinner.  No pic necessary.)

 So my other contribution for dinner was pie. They eat a whole lot of pie on the show. I think it will take me a good long while before I get through all the featured pies on the show especially if I start with pies never mentioned on the show. Which is what I did this week. I always make sweet potato pie for the holidays. In my opinion it is soooo much better than pumpkin pie!

The first pic I took at my house right when the pie got out of the oven. The pie got a bit squished in transport so there was not an  aesthetically pleasing slice to photograph. But I promise you it's tasty!     
I also made (for the first time ever) a chocolate cream pie. I'm very proud of how this turned out seeing as it was "my first pancake"! It was pretty good and the family ate it up! Full disclosure: my sister-in-law--who bakes way more than I do--made it look pretty after I just blobbed a bunch of whipped cream on top.

I think she made it look like meringue which is what the original recipe called for, that sounded weird to me with chocolate, so I went with home made whipped cream. (just use an electric mixer to beat 1 cup of whipping cream, 2 tablespoons of sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla until soft peaks form)


Dark Chocolate Cream Pie
  • In a medium saucepan combine 1 cup sugar and 1/4 cup cornstarch
  • To the saucepan gradually stir in 3 ounces chopped unsweetened chocolate and 2 1/2 cups half and half
  • Cook and stir over medium high heat until thickened and bubbly; reduce heat. Cook and stir  for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat.
  •  Slightly beat 4 egg yolks; gradually stir about 1 cup of hot pie filling into the yolks then add yolk mixture to filling in saucepan. Bring to gentle boil; reduce heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat.
  • Stir in 1 Tbsp butter and 1 1/2 tsp vanilla.
  • Pour warm filling into baked pastry shell; bake in 325 degree oven for 30 minutes.
  • Cool on wire rack 1 hour. Chill 3 to 6 hours before serving.
  • Top with whipped cream.



This is my favorite Sookie quote

Happy Holidays!

Dude made that face on purpose.


2 comments:

  1. The chocolate pie was AMAZING!!!!!! And you didn't ruin the potatoes!

    -The Sister-in-law

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) glad you liked it!
      (next year I'm making Tofurkey.)

      Delete